Recipe typeLunch } Supper
Ingredients2 large, very ripe avocados
juice 1 lemon
8 seeded soft tortillas
, or your favourite flatbreads, warmed
small bunch coriander, to serve
For the onions
1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
100ml red wine vinegar
4 tbsp caster sugar
For the chicken
4 skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 3-4 chunky strips
284ml pot buttermilk
85g plain flour
1 tbsp sesame seed
1 tbsp sweet paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 pinches ground cinnamon
1 tsp garlic salt (or normal salt)
, for shallow-frying
- Mix the chicken strips with the buttermilk and chill for about half a day.
- Mix all the onion ingredients, season with salt and set aside to marinate for at least 30 mins or up to half a day.
- Mix together the polenta or cornmeal, flour, sesame seeds, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and garlic salt on a plate.
- Heat 2cm sunflower oil in a deep frying pan (or slightly more in a big wok) until a cube of bread browns in 1 min.
- Lift the chicken from the buttermilk and drop into the flour mix, tossing to coat well.
- Add about 3 chicken strips at a time to the oil and fry, turning, until golden on all sides and just cooked through.
- Drain on kitchen paper while you fry the rest.
Halve and stone each avocado, scrape out the flesh into a bowl with the lemon juice and some seasoning, and very roughly smash together with the back of a spoon.
- Spread over the warm tortillas or flatbreads, top with the crispy chicken, pickled onions and some coriander. Roll up and tuck in.
Source BBS Good food